Edward D. Simmons, MD
Dr. Simmons has been in practice since 1989 and specializes in the treatment of a wide range of spinal disorders, including disc herniations, spinal stenosis, spinal deformities, such as scoliosis and kyphosis, and traumatic injuries of the spine. He has published extensively in spinal journals and has published twenty-four textbook chapters. He has been involved in the development of spinal procedures and instrumentation systems over his career and is a Clinical Professor at the University of Buffalo.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery, McGill University
- Master of Science, University of Toronto
- Bachelor of Science, University of Toronto
- Residency: the University of Toronto, Department of Orthopedic Surgery
- Canadian Back Institute and Orthopedic and Arthritic Hospital, Toronto
- Boston Children’s Hospital, and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School
Accreditations and Associations
- Royal College of Surgeons, Canada
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- North American Spine Society
- Scoliosis Research Society
- Cervical Spine Research Society
- International Society for the study of the Lumbar Spine
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Received RN Starr Medal for his research at the University of Toronto
- His work has appeared in over 40 publications in peer-review journals and 24 textbook chapters
- Named to the editorial board of Spine and Clinical Spinal Surgery
Research and Publications:
- Over 40 publications in peer-review journals and 24 textbook chapters.
- On the editorial board of Spine, and Clinical Spinal Surgery journals.
- Presented at over 200 national and international meetings.
- Please feel free to review our feature articles below.
Surgical Treatment of Patients With Lumbar Spinal Stenosis With Associated Scoliosis
Edward D. Simmons, MD, CM, MSc
Instability of the Cervical Spine and Neurological Involvement in Klippel-Feil Syndrome
A CASE REPORT*
BY J. E. HALL, M.D., E. D. SIMMONS, M.D., F.A.C.S.(C), K. DANYLCHUK, M.D., AND P. D. BARNES, M.D., BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS From the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston